Porridge is not my darling favourite. However my Kwai G and son do eat porridge. Since my Kwai G was not feeling well, I cooked this minced pork and century egg porridge for him. I did this at night and so the next morning they can have a yummy breakfast.
1 cup of rice
150g minced pork
2 slices of ginger
10 dried scallops
2 dried oysters (optional)
3 tbsp dried anchovies (ikan bilis)
1 century egg (cut to small pieces - optional)
1/2 or 1 salted egg - depending how salty you want (boiled and cut to small pieces - optional)
- chopped spring onion for garnishing (optional)
- fried shallots for garnishing (optional)
Marinate for minced pork
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp corn starch
1 tsp sesame oil
1) Wash the anchovies and bring to a boil with 12 cups of water and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15mins. Sieve the anchovies soup.
2) Add washed rice, ginger, dried scallops, dried oysters and the anchovies soup into the slow cooker. Turn to auto. (If not using a slow cooker, bring to a boil in the pot. Leave the lid partially open and reduce heat to low. Keep stirring the bottom of the pot every now and then to prevent the rice sticking to the bottom. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes)
3) Marinate the mince pork and put it in the fridge (If not cooking overnight, then marinate it for 10mins)
4) Put in the marinated minced pork for about 6 to 10minutes before serving.
5) Garnish with chopped spring onions and fried shallots.